Michael Dresdner

straight talk about wood finishing

Rattle cans are cheaper

Q: We’d like to spray Rustoleum hammer finish but do not have any equipment. Can you recommend an inexpensive HVLP system for home/light use?
A: Yes, but I’d advise against buying a spray system just for this one job. You can buy Rustoleum hammer finish in aerosol cans under the Universal label. http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=180
Those Universal cans are comfortable, spray beautifully with a built in trigger, and will spray in any direction, including upside down. Buying a few cans of aerosol will be vastly cheaper than buying a spray rig.
However, if you are set on buying spray equipment, decide first all the various things you plan to use it for and base the purchase on that. You know from years of hearing it from both me and your father that buying cheap tools, including those inexpensive because they will only do one job well, is rarely a good investment. If you really want to buy a spray rig, call me and I will walk you through the process.